Father of reggae music, king of reggae music, one and only – Bob Marley. The man who will be remembered forever. The legend. Lyrics genius, prophet, rasta and most important – Bob Marley was a freedom fighter! The man whose music has touched many people around the world. His strong lyrics that still have influence on people’s hearts and minds. Reggae wouldn’t be as it is today, if the world wouldn’t hear his songs. His spirit is so much alive, he will live through his music and people’s hearts forever. Music that calls for peace, love, equality, unity and freedom. We couldn’t pick the better man for our first post and first artist of the week. Read some facts below:
- Born in Nine Mile, but moved to Kingston at age 12.
- When he was 10 years old, his father died of a heart attack at the age of 70.
- He was raised as Catholic, but converted to Rastafari in the 1960’s.
Interviewer: “Can you tell the people what it means being a Rastafarian?”
Marley: “I would say to the people, Be still, and know that His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia is the Almighty. Now, the Bible seh so, Babylon newspaper seh so, and I and I the children seh so. Yunno? So I don’t see how much more reveal our people want. Wha’ dem want? a white God, well God come black. True true.”
- Marley was a vegetarian because of his Rastafarian beliefs.
- In 1966 he married Rita and stayed married to her until his death did they part in 1981.
- He started exploring music with his childhood friend Bunny Wailer.
- Bob Marley and the Wailers released 11 albums.
- His mother had a daughter with Bunny Wailer’s father, so she is a younger sister to both Bob and Bunny.
- Apparently, Bob drove a BMW—which, as far as he was concerned, stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers.
- He considered cannabis a healing herb, a “sacrament”, and an “aid to medication”; he supported the legalisation of the drug.
- Football was his favorite sport and played a major role through his life.
- A football injury led doctors to discover a malignant melanoma in Marley’s toe. They recommended amputation, but he refused for religious reasons.
- The tumour then spread and he died of cancer at age 36 in Miami, but buried in Jamaica.
Babylon is everywhere. You have wrong and you have right. Wrong is what we call Babylon, wrong things. That is what Babylon is to me. I could have born in England, I could have born in America, it make no difference where me born, because there is Babylon everywhere. – Bob Marley
Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight. – Bob Marley
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. – Bob Marley
Listen, relax and enjoy!